Suction cups and many of the 3M adhesives used for mounts (i.e. 3M VHB) will not form a proper bond on the PVC used in the construction of inflatable SUPs. A simple cost effective solution to this, is to create a surface that can be used for mounting.
- Duraplex 8 x 10 High Impact Acrylic
- 50cm (length varies depending on D-ring configuration on the board) 0.3cm shock cord
- 1m 3mm static cord for safety tether
- Double Eye Sliding Bolt Snap
- 90cm clear vinyl tubing
- Clear Silicone
- GoPro Surf Mount (optional - shown in picture)
- Carefully drill 4 holes approximately 1 cm in from each corner (hole size corresponds to shock chord thickness). Make sure the acrylic is well supported and don't push too hard as the corner will snap off.
- Sand / file down the sharp corners on the acrylic.
- Cut open one side of the clear tubing and fill it with silicone.
- Squeeze the silicone filled tube around the acrylic and use 6 elastic bands (3 horizontal and 3 vertical to keep the tubing in place.
- Once the silicon is dry rub off the excess - it flakes easily when dry.
- Sand off any sharp corners on the tubing.
- Weave the shock chord through two of the holes and tie a loop on both ends - the perfection loop knot works well.
- Secure the safety tether to one of the holes not used by the shock chord
You're ready to go with an easily transferable platform for your Inflatable. The setup can be pre-configured then attached to a board at the side of the water by quickly weaving the shock chord through two D-rings and tying the safety tether onto a D-ring or handle.